The History of Leith

July 10, 2012

Loan of Broughton (c 1883)

ACROSS the once well-tilled slope where now York
Place stands, a narrow and, secluded way between
hedgerows, called the Loan of Broughton, led for
ages to the isolated village of that name, of which
but a few vestiges still remain.
In a memoir of Robert Wallace, D.D., the eminent
author of the ” Essay on the Numbers of
Mankind,” and other works, an original member of
the Rankenion Club—a literary society instituted
at Edinburgh in 1716—we are told, in the Scots \
Magazine for 1809, that “he died agth of July,
1771, at^iis country lodgings in Broughton Loan,
in his 75th year.”

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text