The History of Leith

July 6, 2012

Mons Meg Returns

In 1829, Mons Meg, which, among other ord
nance deemed unserviceable, had been transmitted
by the ignorance of an officer to London, and retained
there in the Tower, was, by the patriotic
efforts of Sir Walter Scott, sent home to Scotland.
This famous old cannon, deemed a kind of Palladium
by the Scots, after an absence of seventy-five
years, was landed from the Happy Janet, and after
lying for a time in the Naval Yard, till arrangements
were made, the gun was conveyed to the Castle by
a team of ten horses decked with laurels, preceded
by two led horses, mounted by boys clad in tartans
with broadswords. The escort was formed by a
troop of the 3rd Dragoon Guards, and detachments
of the Royal Artillery and Highlanders. In the
evening the Celtic Society, all kilted, 100 strong,
dined together in honour of the event, Sir Walter
Scott in the chair; and on this occasion the old
saying was not forgotten, that ” Scotland^ would
never be Scotland till Mons Meg cam hame.”
The gun was then on the same ancient carriage
on which it had been taken away.

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text