The History of Leith

July 3, 2012

Muster-place on the Links

On the 25th of July, 1559, when the Queen
Regent took possession of Edinburgh, on being
assured of the friendship of Lord Erskine, then
governor of the castle, the Lords of the Congregation
and their adherents drew up their terms of
accommodation at their muster-place on the Links,
where the mounds of the breaching batteries were
thrown up in the following year; and during the
Cromwellian usurpation, the people of Leith, excluded
from their churches, had to meet there in
the open air for Divine worship.

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text