The History of Leith

June 23, 2012

Sir James Elphinstone

In 1605, Sir James Elphinstone, first Lord
Balmerino, became proprietor of the lands of
Quarry Holes after the ruin of Logan of Restalrig.
The Upper Quarry Holes were situated on the
declivity of the Calton Hill, at the head of the
Easter Road, and allusion is made to them in some
trials for witchcraft in the reign of James VI.

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text