The History of Leith

June 23, 2012

Comely Green and Comely Gardens

Comely Green and Comely Gardens. During the middle of the last century,(18th century)
the latter would seem to have been a species of
lively Tivoli Gardens for the lower classes in Edinburgh,
though Andrew Gibb, the proprietor thereof,
addresses his advertisement to “gentlemen and!
ladies,” in the Courant of September 1761.
Therein he announces that he intends “to give
up Comely Gardens in a few weeks, and hopes
they will favour his undertaking and encourage him
to the last. As the ball nights happened to be
rainy these three weeks past he is to keep the
gardens open every day for this season, that gentlemen
and ladies may have the benefit of a walk
there upon paying 2d. to the doorkeeper for keeping
the walk in order, and may have tea., coffee,
or fruit any night of the ball nights ; and hereby
takes this opportunity of returning his hearty thanks
to the noblemen, gentlemen, and ladies, who have
done him the honour to favour him with their company,
and begs the continuance of their favour, as
the undertaking has been accompanied with great
expense. Saturday night is intended to be the last
public one of this season.”
A subsequent advertisement announces for sale,
” the enclosed grounds of Comely Gardens, together
with the large house then commonly called
the Green House, and the office, houses, &c., on
the east side of the road leading to Jock’s Lodge.”

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text