In 1508, for the accommodation of his shipwrights
and others, the king built the chapel. It
was founded on the 8th of April; it was “conveyed
” into the hands of James by the chaplain
thereof, Sir James Cowie, “Sir” being then the
substitute for dominus, when designating a priest.
Indeed, James IV. seems to have been the entire
originator of Newhaven.
source-Old and New Edinburgh