The History of Leith

June 16, 2012

At Newhaven a building-yard and dock for ships

In 1506 James IV. erected at Newhaven a building-yard
and dock for ships (the depth of water favouring the
plan), besides a rope-walk and houses for the accommodation
of artisans. Some portions of the Royal
Roperie were visible here till the middle of the
eighteenth century ; and in a work in MS. preserved
in the Advocates’ Library (a Latin description of
Lothian), written about 1640, mention is made of
a manufactory of ropes and cables as having existed
in Newhaven a short time before that period.

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text