The History of Leith

June 13, 2012

The ancient alley named Coatfield Lane,

FOUR HUNDRED AND FIFTY feet north-westward of_
St. Mary’s church, and on the same side of the
Kirkgate, opens the ancient alley named Coatfield
Lane, which, after a turn to the south in Charlotte
Lane, led originally to the Links. Dr. Robertson
gives a quotation from the ” Parish Records ” of
South Leith, under date 25th May, 1592, as
showing ” the origin” of Coatfield Lane : ” the
quhilk day, the Provost, Johnne Arnottis, shepherd,
was acted that for every sheep he beit in ye Kirkyeard
suld pay ix merks, and everie nyt yat carried
(kept) thame betwix the Coatfield and ye Kirk
style he should pay v. merk.”
But the name is older than the date given, as
Patrick Logan of Coatfield was Bailie of Leith
loth September, 1470, and Robert Logan of the
same place was Provost of the city in 1520-1, as
the “Burgh Records ” show ; and when ruin began
to overtake the wily and powerful Baron of Restalrig,
his lands of Mount Lothian and Nether Gogar
were purchased from him by Andrew Logan of
Coatfield in 1596, as stated in the old “Douglas
Peerage

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text