The History of Leith

June 10, 2012


The Six FEET CLUB was composed of men who
were of that stature or above it, if possible. It was
an athletic society, and generally met half-yearly at
the Hunter’s Tryst, near Colinton, or similar places,
when silver medals were given for rifle-shooting,
throwing a hammer 16 pounds in weight, singlestick,
&c. On these occasions, Sir Walter Scott,
Professor Wilson, and the Ettrick Shepherd, were
frequently present, and often presided. In 1828
we find the club designated the Guard of Honour
to the Lord High Constable of Scotland. Its chairman
was termed captain, and Sir Walter Scott was
umpire of the club.

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text