The History of Leith

June 7, 2012

The New London Road

The Tabernacle has long since been converted
into shops.
Immediately adjoining it on the south is a low
square, squat-looking tower, with a facade in the
Tudor style forming a new front on an old house,
pierced with the entrance to Lady Glenorchy’s Free
Church, which stands immediately behind it.
Where now we find the New London Road,
running eastward from Leopold Place to Brunton
Place, Ainslie’s plan of 1804 shows us in dotted
line a ” Proposed new road to Haddington,” passing
on the north a tolerably large pond, on the Earl of
Moray’s property near the Easter Road—a pond
only filled up when Regent Place and other similar
streets were recently built at Maryfield—and on
the south the Upper Quarry Holes—hollows still
traceable at the east end of the Royal Terrace
Gardens. A street of some kind of buildings occupied
the site of the present Elm Row, as shown
by a plan in 1787 ; and in the Caledonian Mercury
for r8i2 a premium of three hundred guineas is
offered for the best design for laying out in streets
and squares, the lands in this quarter, on the east
side of the walk, consisting of 300 acres.

Source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text