The History of Leith

June 7, 2012


The EAST INDIA CLUB was formed in 1797, and
held its first meeting in John Bayll’s tavern on
the 13th of January that year, when the Herald
; announces that dinner would be on the table at the
then late and fashionable hour of four, but the body
does not seem to have been long in existence ; it
-contributed twenty guineas to the sufferers of a fire
in the Cowgate in the spring of 1799, and fifty to
the House of Industry in 1801.
John Bayll managed the ” George Square assemblies,”
which were held in Buccleuch Place.
His tavern was in Shakespeare Square, where his
^annual balls and suppers, in 1800, were under the
patronage of the Duchess of Buccleuch and Mrs.
Dundas of Arniston.

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text