The History of Leith

June 3, 2012

Walter, first Earl of Buccleuch and Leith

Walter, first Earl of Buccleuch, commander of
a Scottish regiment under the States of Holland,
having died in London in the winter of 1634, his
body was embalmed, and sent home by sea in a
Kirkcaldy ship, which, after being sorely tempest tossed
and driven to the coast of Norway, reached
Leith in the June of the following year, when the
earl’s remains were placed in St. Mary’s church (now South Leith Church),
where they lay for twenty days, till the Clan Scott
mustered, and a grand funeral was accorded them
at Hawick, the heraldic magnificence of which
had rarely been seen in Scotland, while the
mourning trumpets wailed along the banks of the
Teviot. A black velvet pall, powdered with silver
tears, covered the coffin, whereon lay “the defunct’s
helmet and coronet, overlaid with cypress, to show
that he had been a soldier.”

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text