The History of Leith

June 3, 2012

Meeting-House Green

Previous to the Revolution of 1688 a separation
of the congregation’s recorded in the church at
Leith, those who adhered to prelacy occupying the
latter, while the pure Presbyterians formed a separate
party at the Meeting-House Green, near the
Sheriff (Shirra) Brae. The latter, belonging to North
as well as South Leith, were permitted to meet
there for prayer and sermon, by special permission
of King James in 1687, Mr. William Wishart being
chosen minister of that congregation.

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text