The History of Leith

May 30, 2012

Gilmerton

Gilmerton (Scottish Gaelic: Baile GhilleMhoire) is a one-time coal mining village, now a southern suburb of Edinburgh, the capital of Scotland. It is south-west of Danderhall. Its name derives from a combination of Scottish Gaelic: Gille-Moire – a personal name and later surname meaning ‘Servant of [the Virgin] Mary’, from which we have the first element, Gilmer, – and Old English: ton, ‘settlement, farmstead’. It is possible that the name could derive from Sir John Gilmour of Craigmillar (1605–14 August 1671) who bought Craigmillar Castle a few miles away in the 1660s. for more click here

Some Text