The History of Leith

May 26, 2012

Wauchope of Niddrie

At the period of the Reformation the chapelry
of Niddrie, with the revenues thereof, was attached
to Liberton Church. Its founders, the Wauchopes
of Niddrie, have had a seat in the parish for more
than 500 years, and are perhaps the oldest family
in Midlothian.
Gilbert Wauchope of Niddrie was a distinguished
member of the Reformation Parliament in
1560. On the ayth of December, 1591, Archibald
Wauchope, of Niddrie, together with the Earl of
Bothwell, Douglas of Spott, and others, made a
raid on Holyrood, attempting the life of James VI.,
and after much firing of pistols and muskets were
repulsed, according to Moyses’ Memoirs, for which
offence Patrick Crombie of Carmbber and fifteen
others were forfeited by Parliament.
Sir John Wauchope of Niddrie is mentioned by
Guthryin his “Memoirs,” as a zealous Covenanter.
Niddrie House, a mile north of Edmonstone
House, is partly an ancient baronial fortalice and
partly a handsome modern mansion. The holly
hedges here are thirty feet high, and there is a
sycamore nineteen feet in circumference.
In 1718 John Wauchope of Niddrie, Marischal,
was slain in Catalonia. He and his brother were
generals of Spanish infantry, and the latter was
governor of the town and fortress of Cagliari in
Sardinia.
We find the name of his regiment in the following
obituary in 1719:—”Died in Sicily, of fever, in
the camp of Randazzo, Andrew, son of Sir George
Seton of Garleton—sub-lieutenant in Irlandas Regiment,
late Wauchope’s.” (Salmon’s “Chronology.”)
In 1718 one of the same family was at the seabattle
of Passaro, captain of the San Francisco
Arreres of twenty-two guns and one hundred men.
Lediard’s History calls him simply ” Wacup, a
Scotchman.”

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text