The History of Leith

May 25, 2012

Inchkeith-1883 description

Inchkeith is half a mile in length and about
the eighth of a mile in breadth. Throughout its
surface is very irregular and rocky, but in many
places it produces the richest herbage, well suited
fo*f the pasturage of cattle and horses ; yet there
are no animals on it, except grey rabbits, and
Norwegian rats brought thither by the Leith
shipping. Near the middle of the island, but
rather towards its northern end, it rises gradually
to the height of 180 feet above the level
of the river, and thereon the well-known lighthouse
is erected. The island possesses abundance
of springs ; the water is excellent, and is
collected into a cistern near the harbour, from
which the shipping in the Roads is supplied.

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text