The History of Leith

May 24, 2012

Several persons of position

we learn that several persons of
position had their residences near the Links.
In 1800, Charles, Earl of Dalkeith (afterwards
fourth Duke of Euccleuch and sixth Duke of
Queensberry), had one near the Golf House; and
in 1802 the same place was in the occupation of
George, Earl of Glasgow, G.C.H. and F.R.S. In
1783-9, James, Earl of Lauderdale, and his
countess, resided in a mansion a little way eastward
of the Hermitage, which in 1811 was occupied
by Lady Fife; and to this day a spring on
the Links is known as “‘ Lady Fife’s Well.”

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text