The History of Leith

May 23, 2012

Leith was the most suitable port

Under instructions issued by the Earl of
Pembroke, then Lord High Admiral, some naval
officers surveyed the Firth of Forth, and were pleased
to report that Leith was the most suitable port, and
two docks were eventually formed on the west side
of the old harbour, the first, a graving dock, being
constructed in 1720, in front of the Sand Port,
where now the Custom House stands.
The west quay, which now takes

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text