The History of Leith

May 23, 2012

Her ancient and loyal city of Edinburgh

IN the year when the first stone pier was built (1710)
steps were taken towards building a regular dock
in Leith, when the Lord Provost, Magistrates,
and Town Council of Edinburgh, petitioned Queen
Anne, praying her to establish at Leith, ” the port
of her ancient and loyal city of Edinburgh, a wet
and dry dock, for the commencing of building,
fitting, and repairing her Majesty’s ships of war
and trading vessels, which would greatly conduce
to the interests of trade in general.”

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text