The History of Leith

May 7, 2012

1560, Queen Mary landed at Leith

On the 2oth of August, 1560, Queen Mary
landed at the town to take possession of the throne
of her ancestors. The time was about eight in the
morning, and Leith must have presented a different
aspect than in the preceding year, when the cannon
of the besiegers thundered against its walls. No
vestige now remains of the pier which received her,
though it must have been constructed subsequent
to the destruction of the older one by the savage
Earl of Hertford—the pier at which Magdalene of
France, the queen of twenty summer days, had
landed so joyously in the May of 1537.
The keys of St. Anthony’s Port were delivered to
Mary, who was accompanied by her three uncles—
Claude of Lorraine, Due d’Aumale, who was killed
at the siege of Rochelle thirteen years after; Francis,
Grand Prior of Malta, general of the galleys of
France, who died of fatigue after the battle of
Dreux; and Rene, Marquis d’Elboeuff, who succeeded
Francis as general of the galleys. She was attended
also by her ” four Maries,” whose names, as given by
Bishop Leslie, were Fleming, Beaton, Livingstone,
and Seaton, who had been all along with her in
France. Buchanan in 1565 mentions five Maries,
and the treasurer’s account at the same date mentions
six, including two whose names were Simparten
and Wardlaw.

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text