The History of Leith

May 5, 2012

The Coal Hill decribed in 1883

The adjacent Peat Neuk, for years during the
last century and the beginning of the present,
afforded a shelter to those reckless and abandoned
characters who abound in every seaport; while in
that portion of the town between the Coal Hill and
the foot of the Tolbooth Wynd were a number of
ancient and ruinous houses, the abode of wandering
outcasts, from whom no rent was ever derived
or expected. It was further alleged, in the early
part of the nineteenth century, to be the favourite
haunt of disembodied spirits, whose crimes or
sufferings in life compelled them to wander; so,
every way, the Coal Hill seems to have been an
unpleasant, as it is still an unsavoury, locality.

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text