The History of Leith

May 1, 2012

Church of St. Ninian-North Leith

The last minister who officiated in the Church
of St. Ninian—now degraded to a granary or store
—was the venerable Dr. Johnston, the joint founder
of the Edinburgh Blind Asylum, who held the incumbency
for more than half a century. The old
edifice had become unsuited to modern requirements
; thus the foundation of a new parish church
for North Leith had been completed elsewhere in
1816, and on the 25th of August in that year he took
a very affecting leave of the old parish church in
which he had officiated so long.

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text