The History of Leith

April 30, 2012

Mount Lothian

The remains of St. Mary’s Chapel and burial ground are situated in a small plantation E of Mount Lothian Toll Bar. The chapel is oriented, and has been 16’4″ wide, but its length is indeterminate. The masonry was apparently of rubble.
The church was originally granted to the monks of Holyrood Abbey, the charter being confirmed in 1240 and belonged to them until the Reformation. In 1635 the church was transferred to the episcopate of Edinburgh, and in 1638 the parish of Mount Lothian was annexed to Penicuik. for more click here

Some Text