The History of Leith

April 18, 2012

The earliest reference to Leith

The earliest reference to Leith in history is in
King David’s famous charter to Holyrood, circa
1143 7, wherein he gives the water, fishings, and
meadows to the canons serving God therein, ” and
Broctan, with its right marches; and that Inverlet
which is nearest the harbour, and with the half of
the fishing, and with a whole tithe of all the fishing
that belongs to the church of St. Cuthbert.”
This charter of King David is either repeated or
quoted in all subsequent grants by charter, or purchases
of superiority, referring to Leith; and by it
there would seem to have* been in that early age
some species of harbour where the Leith joins the
Firth of Forth ; but there is again a reference to it
in 1313, when all the vessels there were burned by
the English during the war waged by Edward II.,
which ended in the following year at Bannockburn.

source-Old and Nerw Edinburgh

Some Text