The History of Leith

April 18, 2012

North Leith as described in 1883

North Leith is bounded on the north by the
Firth of Forth, on the south and ea.st by the stream
which gives its name to the whole locality, dividing
it from South Leith, and on the south and west
by St. Cuthbert’s. It is oblong in form, and has
an area of only 517 acres. Its surface is nearly a
uniform level, and with the exception of some
garden grounds is covered by streets and villas.
Between North Leith and Newhaven the coast has
been to a considerable extent washed away by the
encroaching waves of the Firth, but has now received
the aid of strong stone bulwarks to protect
it from further loss.

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text