The History of Leith

April 6, 2012

The church of Nicholas

In Robertson’s map, depicting Leith with its
fortifications, 1560 ,the church of Nicholas is shown between the sixth
and seventh bastions, as a cruciform edifice, with
choir, nave, and transepts, measuring about 150 feet
in length, by 80 feet across the latter, and distant
only 100 feet from the Short Sand, or old sea margin.
The church, or chapel, with the hospital of
St. Nicholas, is supposed to have been founded
at some date later than the chapel of Abbot Ballantyne,
as the reasons assigned by him for building
it seemed to imply that the inhabitants were
without any accessible place of worship ; but when
or by whom it was founded, the destruction of
nearly all ecclesiastical records, at the Reformation,
renders it even vain to surmise.

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text