The History of Leith

April 5, 2012

North Leith-1787

ON crossing the river we find ourselves in North
Leith, which is thus described by Kincaid in
” With regard to North Leith, very little alteration
has taken place here for a century past. It consists
of one street running north-east from the bridge,
six hundred feet long, and about forty in breadth
where broadest On each side are many narrow
lanes and closes, those on the south side leading
down to the carpenters’ yards by the side of the
river, and those on the north to the gardens belonging
to the inhabitants. From the bridge a
road leads to the citadel, in length 520 feet; then
100 feet west, and we enter the remains of the old
fortification, on the top of which a dwelling-house
is now erected. The buildings in this place are in
general very mean in their appearance, and inhabited
by people who let rooms during the summer
season to persons who bathe in the salt water.”

source-Old and New Leith

Some Text