The History of Leith

April 4, 2012

ancient barony of Broughton

This ancient barony (of Broughton) and the surrounding lands
comprehended within its jurisdiction were granted
by James VI., in 1568, to Adam Bothwell, Bishop
of Orkney, in whose time the village tolbooth
would seem to have been erected; it remained
intact till 1829, and stood at the east of the present
Barony Street, a quaint edifice, with crowstepped
gables and dormer windows. Over its north door,
to which a flight of thirteen steps gave access, was
the date 1582. It was flanked on one side by a
venerable set of stocks, a symbol of justice rare in
Scotland, where the iron jougs were always used.

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text