The History of Leith

March 28, 2012

The Martyrs’ Monument

On the south side of the narrow street referred
to is the old entrance to the burying-ground, which
Lord Balmerino gifted to his vassals, and through
which the remains of David Hume must have been
borne to their last resting-place, in what is now the
southern portion of the cemetery, and in the round
tower of Roman design at the south-eastern corner
thereof. Near it is the great obelisk, called
the Martyrs’ Monument, erected to the memory of
those who were tried and banished from Scotland
in 1793 for advocating parliamentary reform. It
is inscribed, in large Roman letters :—” TO THE
MEMORY OF THOMAS MUIR, THOMAS FYSSHE
PALMER, WILLIAM SKIRVING, MAURICE MARGAROT
AND JOSEPH GERALD. ERECTED BY THE FRIENDS
OF PARLIAMENTARY REFORM IN SCOTLAND AND
ENGLAND, 1844.”
In this burying-ground lie the remains of Professor
George Wilson and many other eminent
citizens.

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text