The History of Leith

March 28, 2012

The great prison buildings of the city

The great prison buildings of the city occupy
the summit of the Dow Craig, (Now the site of St Andrew House)
The first of these, the ” Bridewell,” was founded
3oth November, 1791, by the Earl of Morton,
Grand Master of Scotland, heading a procession
which must have ascended the hill by the tortuous
old street at the back of the present Convening
Rooms. The usual coins and papers were enclosed
in two bottles blown at the glass-house in Leith.
and deposited in the stone, with a copper plate
containing a long Latin inscription. The architect
was Robert Adam.
Prior to this the city had an institution of a
similar kind, named the House of Correction, for
the reception of strolling poor and loose characters.
It had been projected as far back as 1632.
and the buildings therefor had been situated near
Paul’s Work. Afterwards a building near the
Charity Workhouse was used for the purpose, but
being found too small, after a proposal to establish
a new one at the foot of Forrester’s Wynd, the
idea was abandoned, the present new one projected
and carried out. It was finished in 1796, at the
expense of the city and county, aided by a petty
grant from Government.

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text