The History of Leith

March 28, 2012

Burns’s monument

Passing the eastern gate of the new prison (Now Removed), and
Jacob’s Ladder, a footway which, in two mutually
diverging lines,each by a series of steep traverses
and flights of steps, descends the sloping face of the
hill, to the north back of the Canongate, we find
Burns’s monument, perched over the line of the
tunnel, built in 1830, after a design by Thomas
Hamilton, in the style of a Greek peripteral temple,
its cupola being a literal copy from the monument
of Lysicrates at Athens. The original object of
this edifice was to serve as a shrine for Flaxman’s
beautiful statue of Burns, now removed to the
National Gallery, but replaced by an excellent
bust of the poet, by William Brodie, R.S.A., one
of the best of Scottish sculptors.

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text