The History of Leith

March 26, 2012

The north-eastern base of Calton hill-c1883,

In the low valley which skirts the north-eastern
base of Calton hill, now occupied by workshops and
busy manufactories, was the place for holding
tournaments, open-air plays, and revels.
In 1456 King James II. granted under his
great seal, in favour of the magistrates and community
of the city and their successors for ever,
the valley and low ground lying betwixt the rock
called Cragingalt on the east, and the common
way and passage on the west (now known as Greenside)
for performing thereon tournaments, sports,
and other warlike deeds, at the pleasure of the
king and his successors. This grant was dated
at Edinburgh, i3th of August, in presence of the
Bishops of St. Andrews and Brechin, the Lords
Erskine, Montgomery, Darnley, Lyle, and others.

source-Old and New edinburgh

Some Text