The History of Leith

March 23, 2012

SOUTH LEITH RELICS.

SOUTH LEITH RELICS.
Progress is being made in restoring to the Church
some of the relics with which it was adorned in olden
days. The people of Calton (or Craigend as it was
styled) had sittings at the west end of the north aisle,
and the Craigend beam was formerly a conspicuous
reminder of their rights within the old building. This
beam is preserved in the Edinburgh Museum of Antiquities,
but the Kirk Session have had a replica made
and placed as nearly as possible in the position which
the original beam occupied for about 200 years.
The incorporation of Hammermen also sat in the
north aisle at the east end thereof, and a cast of their
arms, taken from a tombstone in the churchyard, has
been erected to mark the place where, for centuries, the
Hammermen sat until within comparatively recent times
their incorporation was disbanded. In the south aisle
various crafts of the town had sittings, including that of
the Tailors, whose arms, removed from the Church at
the Restoration fn 1846, are now within the town’s
museum. An endeavour was made to recover these
arms, but unfortunately this did not succeed. A cast
has, however, been prepared and erected near to the
place where the original arms were displayed.
The Kirk Session are making every endeavour to have
the new front to the organ gallery completed and erected
in time for the Coronation Service;’ An additional
reason for desiring the completion of the work is that
the anniversary of the Church falls on the 24th day of
June, two days later than the day of the Coronation.

source-South Leith Church Magazine 1911

Some Text