The History of Leith

March 19, 2012

The Silver Laver. (Church Magazine 1909)

1637, Octr. 8—” Our bailies, James Billies and David
£ Wilkie, giftit to our kirk sessione yis day ane silver
laver for the use of ye Kirk of South Leith.”
(Note.—This handsome laver or basin, made of
hammered silver, is the baptismal basin of the church,
and continues to be in constant use. On the rim. which
is flat, there is engraved :—” Gifted to the South Kirk of
Leith by James Rucheid and James Elles and David
Vilkie, bailies, 1647.”)

Source-South Leith Church

Some Text