The History of Leith

March 2, 2012

Scottish standing army rejected

after Pinkie, in 1547. The (Holyrood) Palace did not escape. Seacombe, in his ” History of the House of Stanley,” mentions that Norris, of Speke Hall, Lancashire, an English commander at that battle, plundered from Holyrood all or most of the princely library of the deceased King of Scots, James V., ” particularly four large folios, said to contain the Records and Laws of Scotland at that time.” He also describes a grand piece of wainscot, now in Speke Hall having been brought from the palace, but this is considered, from its style,, doubtful.
During the turmoils and troubles that ensued after Mary of Guise assumed the regency, her proposal, on the suggestion of the French Court,, to form a Scottish standing army like that of France, so exasperated the nobles and barons, that three hundred of them assembled’ at. Holyrood in 1555, and after denouncing the measure in strong terms, deputed the Laird of Wemyss and Sir James Sandilands of Calder to remonstrate with her on the unconstitutional step she was meditating, urging that Scotland had never wanted brave defenders to fight her battles in time of peril, and that they would never submit to this innovation on their ancient customs. This spirited remonstrance from Holyrood had the desired effect, as the regent abandoned her project. She came, after an absence, to the palace in the November of the following year, when the magistrates presented her with a quantity of new wine, and dismissed McCalzean, an assessor of the city, who spoke to her insultingly in the palace on the affairs of Edinburgh; and in the following February she received and entertained the ambassador of the Duke of Muscovy, who had been shipwrecked on his way to England, whither she sent him, escorted by 500 lances, under the Lord. Home.

Some Text