The History of Leith

February 16, 2012

The abode of David Rizzio

Immediately adjoining the Abbey Court-house was an old, dilapidated, and gable-ended mansion of no great height, but of considerable extent, which was’ long indicated by oral tradition as the
abode of David Rizzio. It has now given place to buildings connected with the Free . Church of Scotland. Opposite these still remain some of the older tenements of this once patrician burgh,
distinguishable by their lofty windows filled in with small square panes of glass ; and on the south side of the street, at its very eastern end, a series of pointed arches along the walls of the Sanctuary Court-house, alone remain to indicate the venerable Gothic porch and gate-house of the once famous” Abbey of Holyrood, beneath which all that was great and good, and much that was ignoble and bad have passed and repassed in the days that are no more.
This edifice, of which views from the east and west are still preserved, is supposed to have been the work of ” the good Abbot Ballantyne,” who rebuilt the north side of the church in 1490. and
to whom we shall have occasion to refer elsewhere. His own mansion, or lodging, stood here on the north side of the street, and the remains of it, together with the porch, were recklessly destroyed
and removed by the Hereditary Keeper of the Palace in 1753.

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text