The History of Leith

January 22, 2012

The iron hook of the West Bow

One of the chief relics in the West Bow was an enormous rusty iron hook, on which hung an ancient gate of the city wall, the upper Bow Port, built in 1450. It stood in the wall of a house at the first angle on the east side, about four feet from the ground. When Maitland wrote his history in 1753, two of theseJiooks were visible; but by the time that Chambers wrote his ” Traditions,” in
1824, the lower one had been buried by the level of the street having been raised.

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text