The History of Leith

January 15, 2012

Sir John Byres, Bart

Prior to the year 1811 there remained unchanged in the Luckenbooths two lofty houses of great strength and antiquity, one of which contained the town residence of Sir John Byres, Bart., of Coates, an estate now covered by the west end of new Edinburgh. He was a gentleman who made a great figure in the city during the reign of James VI., but no memories of him now remain, save the alley called Byres’ Close, and his tomb in the west wall of the Greyfriars’ churchyard, the inscription on which, though nearly obliterated, tells us that he was treasurer, bailie, and dean of guild of Edinburgh, and died in 1629, in his sixtieth year.

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text