The History of Leith

January 14, 2012

The Tolbooth, or Pretorium burgi de Edtnburgi

The Tolbooth of Edinburgh is supposed to have been built about 1466, when James III. erected St. Giles’s into a collegiate church, and the chapter-house thereof being of sufficient dimensions, would naturally lead to the meeting-place of parliaments, though many were held in Edinburgh long before the time of James III., especially in the old hall of the Castle, now degraded into a military hospital.
The first Parliament of James II. was held in the latter in 1437 ; in 1438 the second Parliament was held at Stirling, but in the November of the same year another in Pretoria burgi de Edinburgh,

source-Old and Edinburgh

Some Text