The History of Leith

November 22, 2011

The Rannie Monument-South Leith Church

The Rannie Monument.
(On outside of South Wall of Church.)
The inscription is as follows :—” In Memory of James Rannie, Esq., Wine Merchant, Leith, who died tkje 8th April, 1805, aged 69 years.”
JAMES RANNIE was a partner in the firm of Messrs Bell, Eannie & Co., whose offices and warehouses were then in Quality Street. Later
the firm removed to Constitution Street. It is now amalgamated with the firm of John Kirkhope & Co., Wine Merchants, 22 Queensferry Street, Edinburgh.
James Rannie, who died in April 1805, was the last of the Rannies to be connected with the firm. Under the name of Bell, Rannie & Co., it was founded as long ago as 1715. In 1745 they supplied Bonnie Prince Charlie with wine at Holyrood.
Beginning in 1793 the name of James Rannie, Jnr., appears in ” Williamson’s Directory” as a Wine Merchant at the ” Pipes,” situated at the foot of the Kirkgate. This same business is still carried on under the name of ” Dewar & Co.” The present proprietor is Mr William Tulloch, now an octogenarian. A member of South Leith, he was able to attend Public Worship until about a year ago.

source-South Leith Records

Some Text