The History of Leith

November 15, 2011

The Caitchhall

23 Now. 1651.—The which day was the first day Mr Jon Weir our pastor (immediately efter his returning hom) did convene the scattered congregaone of South Leith together (being ye Lords day) and preached to ym in the Caitchhall at the foot of the Cannongaite.
(Note.— The Caitchhall was the Royal Tennis Court just outside the Water Gate, and adjacent to the Palace”. The game was then known as ” Caitchepelle.” It has been suggested that the curious building
known as Queen Mary’s Bath-house may have been used as a bath-house in connection with the Caitchhall.)

source-The South Leith Records

Some Text