The History of Leith

November 12, 2011

The History of South Leith-1740/1773

1740 June 26.—Rev. William Aitken
admitted minister of the first charge.
1746.—Arthur, sixth and last Earl of
Balmerino, was beheaded on Tower Hill for
participation in the 1745 Rebellion. His
estates were confiscated, and subsequently
acquired by the Earl of Morray. The patronage
of the first charge reverted to the Crown.
1746 Now 20.—Rev. Robert Walker
admitted minister of the second charge.
1746. — “Church decorated with five
beautiful stonern jamb windows on each side
thereof which being found hurtful to the roof
were taken down in 1747 and 1748.”
1754 Feby 7.—The Earl of Moray was put
in possession of the seats in the church which
were formerly possessed by Lord Balmerino, on
condition that he granted to the incorporations
a servitude right to bring water into Leith
from Lochend Loch.
1755 July 10.—Rev. Alexander Stuart
admitted minister of the second charge.
1761 Septr 7.—Lustre or branch candlesticks
first put up within the church.
1762 Now 12.—Rev. Thomas Scott A.M.
admitted minister of the second charge. He was
transferred to the first charge on 26 September
1765.
1766 Jany 9.—Rev. Henry Hunter D.D.
admitted minister of the second charge.
1770 August 2.—Petition presented by the
inhabitants of Newhaven for enlargement of
their burial place.
1773 April 2.—Rev. John Logan admitted
minister of the second charge “but not till
both the Ecclesiastical and civil courts had
decided on his claim.” He was the reputed
author of Paraphrases viii, ix, x, xi, xviii, YYYJ,
xxxviii, xlviii, liii, Iviii.
1773.—St John’s church built as a Chapelof-
Ease to South Leith.

source-South leith Church

Some Text