The History of Leith

November 9, 2011

The whin stacks

20 June 1701.—Andrew Watsone and Alexander Douglas searched forenoon and reported that they found one Peter Chessilone a french man and his spouse with him sitting at ye whin stacks in tyme of sermon and yt they were brought to ye church and had paunded a fourtie shilling peice for their compearance before the Session, and he being called but not compearing appoints him to be called
ye next Session day. James Young and Patrick Babtie searched afternoon and reported yt yr were multitudes of people sitting in ye churchyard, and also many standing and talking in ye porch of ye kirk The Session renewes yr former Act viz.—that whatever officer or Key Keeper in ye Church shall apprehend any of such persons shall have five pence for each one yt they apprehend.
(Note.—The whin stacks were on the Links which. at this time were overgrown with whins, probably cultivated as fodder for cattle.)

source-South Leith Records

Some Text