The History of Leith

November 3, 2011

The stiffing house

21 Ap. 1656.—James Stevenson . . .report that Adam Gairns his land besyd ye new hospitall wch was called the stiffing house paves yearlie Ten pound sterling and the land in ye narrow close upo ye Shore bewast the broad wynd payes yearlie £20 sterling. So the session compones both ye lands for ane £100 scots.
(Note.—These were casualties due to the Session. “Stirling” was an old word for starch. The close referred to may have been the Precious Close, anarrow cul-de-sac now removed)

source-The South Leith Records

Some Text