The History of Leith

October 25, 2011

Portobello Hut

Portobello Hut, built in 1742, by an old Scottish seaman who had served under Admiral Vernon, in 1739, was so named by him in honour of our triumph at that West Indian seaport, and hence the cognomen
of this watering-place ; but houses must have sprung up around it by the year 1753, as in the Courant of that year, “George Hamilton in Portobello” offers a reward of three pounds for the name of a libeller who represented him as harbouring in his house robbers, by whom, and by some smugglers, the locality was then infested.

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text