The History of Leith

October 19, 2011

The ruined Chapel and Hermitage of St. Anthony

The ruined Chapel and Hermitage of St. Anthony on the rocky spur of Arthur’s Seat, overlooking St. Margaret’s Loch and the Firth of Forth, are popularly believed to have been closely connected with the Hospital at Leith, and even to have been built by its canons.
Now there is no other foundation for these statements than the similarity of name of the two foundations ; for if we have few charters belonging to St. Anthony’s Hospital, we have none at all to tell us who founded the chapel on Arthur’s Seat. The tower of St. Anthony’s Hospital was destroyed in 1560 by the English, and the Hospital itself, like all the institutions of the Catholic Church, was suppressed at the Reformation, which followed a little later in the same year. All its rents and other properties (including the lands, gardens, and windmill) in Leith and Newhaven were eventually
bestowed by James VI., by his charter called the Golden Charter, on the Kirk Session of South Leith.

source-The Story of Leith

Some Text