The History of Leith

October 14, 2011

Kelso Abbey

Built in 1128 and the years following, Kelso Abbey was one of the finest examples of Romanesque architecture. Finally finished, it was dedicated to the Blessed Virgin and St John in 1243. It was soon one of the largest and richest in Scotland, having a superb library in medieval times. In the 12th and 13th centuries, the Abbot of Kelso was granted the right to wear a mitre, which gave him a precedence higher than any other Scottish abbot. The abbey’s wealth came from its vast lands, its churches, schools, farms and its granges in the Cheviot Hills. for more click here

Some Text