The History of Leith

October 12, 2011

The burying-ground of Restalrig

In the burying-ground here, amid a host of ancient tombs, are some of modern date, marking where lie the father of Lord Brougham ; Louis Cauvin, who founded the hospital which bears his name at Duddingston ; the eccentric doctor known as ” Lang Sandy Wood,” and his kindred, including the late Lord Wood; and Lieutenant-Colonel William Rickson, of The 19th Foot, a brave and distinguished
soldier, the comrade and attached friend of Wolfe, the hero of Quebec. His death is thus recorded in the Scots Magazine for 1770:—”At his house in Broughton, Lieutenant-Colonel William Rickson, Quartermaster-General and Superintendent of Roads in North Britain.” His widow died so lately as 1811, as her tomb at Restalrig bears, ” in the fortieth year of her widowhood.” Here, too, was interred, in 1720, the Rev. Alexander Rose, the last titular bishop of Edinburgh.

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text