The History of Leith

October 10, 2011

North Leith-1787

ON crossing the river we find ourselves in North Leith, which is thus described by Kincaid in 1787 :—
” With regard to North Leith, very little alteration has taken place here for a century past. It consists of one street running north-east from the bridge, six hundred feet long, and about forty in breadth where broadest. On each side are many narrow lanes and closes, those on the south side leading down to the carpenters’ yards by the side of the river, and those on the north to the gardens belonging to the inhabitants. From the bridge a road leads to the citadel, in length 520 feet; then 100 feet west, and we enter the remains of the old fortification, on the top of which a dwelling-house is now erected. The buildings in this place are in general very mean in their appearance, and inhabited by people who let rooms during the summer season to persons who bathe in the salt water.”

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text