The History of Leith

October 8, 2011

The Leith Citadel

After the Restoration a partial demolition of the citadel and sale of its materials began; thus, it is stated in the Records of Heriot’s Hospital, that the Town Council, on 7th April, 1673, “unanimously understood that the Kirk of the citadell (of Leith), and all that is therein, both timber, seats, steeple, stone and glass work, be made use of and used to the best avail for reparation of the hospital chapel, and ordains the treasurer of the hospital to see the samyn done with all conveniency.” Maitland describes the citadel as having bgen of pentagonal form, with five bastions, adding that it cost the city “no less a sum than ^11,000,” thus we must suppose that English money contributed largely to its erection. On its being granted to the Earl of Lauderdale by the king, the former sold it to the city for £5,000, and the houses within were sold or let to various persons, whose names occur in various records from time to time.

source-Old and New Edinburgh

Some Text